Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyOld and inactive walk right up for easy soccer games

Old and inactive walk right up for easy soccer games

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

WALKING soccer has become a hit in Geelong since it was publicised in the Independent a month ago.
The new form of sport for older or inactive people has “taken off” even though its six-week trial period has yet to finish.
Melanie Thomas, from Leisure Networks, said more players were registering weekly and a regular core of members had been established.
“We’ve had women joining, we’ve had older men bringing their sons along as well,” Thomas said.
“As the program grows we hope to take it to multiple locations and will also start a women’s program in the coming months.”
Run through the VicHealth Regional Sport Program, walking soccer aims to develop opportunities to increase the number of people participating in sport.
The game focuses on people currently inactive or who have low levels of physical activity.
“The key difference in the rules from the regular game is that if a player runs it’s a free-kick to the other team,” Thomas explained.
“This restriction, together with a ban on slide tackles, promotes cardiovascular fitness whilst reducing stress on the body and avoiding injuries.”
Thomas said the time length of each game could vary, dependent on fitness levels and the number of players.
“We also see it as a great social outlet, where people can get together after the game and chat about the match and life in general.”
Matches are played at Norlane’s Anakie Rd Leisure Time Centre from 7pm Wednesdays, with costs been capped at $4 a player.
Thomas said more information was available by phoning her on 5224 9932 or emailing melanie@leisurenetworks.org.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...