Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBig firms eye Alcoa site

Big firms eye Alcoa site

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

 

SEVERAL multinational companies have expressed interest in Alcoa’s Point Henry site, Mayor Darryn Lyons has revealed.
Cr Lyons told a Geelong Business Network breakfast “at least four to five major companies around the world” were looking keenly at the site.
He was “extremely excited” about the possibilities for the aluminium smelter and rolling mill site, the breakfast heard.
“We’ve also had development proposals for the site coming through, from big residential developments to golf courses to all sorts of stuff,” Cr Lyons said.
“Can this mayor sit here and say what this is going to be in the future? No, but some of the plans are over the next 20 years.
“Obviously we all want that sorted out as quickly as possible but I think the news is going to be good.”
Alcoa’s Point Henry site will become vacant near the end of the year when the company completes decommissioning its aluminium plant after ceasing operations at the start of the month. Most of the 800 staff have already left the site.
Alcoa owns and manages 575 hectares of land at Point Henry, of which 500Ha is outside the smelter and rolling mill perimeter.
The land includes Point Henry Signal Station, wetlands, sewage and water quality treatment ponds and part of former Cheetham Salt’s Moolap salt works.
Alcoa’s land adjoins the eastern shoreline, with its buffer zone extending to Portarlington-Geelong Rd.
The Point Henry smelter started operating in 1962, producing 190,000 tonnes of aluminium annually, exporting about half and the rest processed at the neighbouring rolling mill.
An Alcoa spokesperson said Point Henry was in the “very early stages of the decommissioning process”.
“Our aim is to return the asset to productive use and a team has been established to begin the process, which includes a comprehensive site assessment,” the spokesperson said.
“This cannot be completed until after the rolling mill ends operations later this year.
“Naturally there is interest in the site, However, we need to complete the assessment process before decisions can be made on future use.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...