Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMuseum tours move into the 21st century

Museum tours move into the 21st century

Kim Waters
Queenscliffe Maritime Museum has swept aside dusty relics and old-fashioned displays and moved into a new age of interactive education.
The museum received a $3175 State Government Local History grant last week for the development of an interpretive tour and online education resource.
Museum secretary June Negri said the interactive tour will include a guided historic walk around the town detailing the history of the Queenscliff Harbour and the Fishermen’s Flat precinct.
The new program will also feature a virtual town tour and an interactive quiz.
Ms Negri said the project was initiated after requests from teachers and group leaders for a structured, educational and interactive museum activity.
“The Fishermen’s Flat area near the harbour was one of the first parts of Queenscliff occupied by settlers and this interpretive tour will capture and preserve the stories of the area and foreshore,” Ms Negri said.
“The spot was only occupied by boat builders and fishermen much like the mining areas in Ballarat and Bendigo.
“The land was leased out until about 1968, and when they changed the land leases for the mining towns they also changed the lease on the Fishermen’s Flat to a freehold title.”
She predicted tours would start towards the end of the year and hoped the new program would attract visitors.
“Like any not-for-profit organisation we rely on visitors to keep us open,” Ms Negri said.
“School groups and adult tours are how we keep the museum going so I’m hoping this will be a popular attraction for visitors.”

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...