Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCall to expand ban on council-MP jobs

Call to expand ban on council-MP jobs

Jessica Benton
A Geelong councillor has called for State Government to widen bans against councillors working for MPs.
Liberal-aligned councillor Stretch Kontelj said the Government needed to “get tough” on political interference in councils after Premier John Brumby accepted an Ombudsman’s report last week recommending the ban.
Cr Kontelj said Geelong councillors David Saunderson and Cameron Granger could simply accept other paid Labor party roles if they left their jobs with Labor MPs Richard Marles and John Eren.
The councillors have stepped down from the MP jobs while the Government investigates them for alleged breaches of council conflict-of-interest laws.
“The Ombudsman’s ban must extend to employees of political parties as well, otherwise I predict that politically maligned councillors such as Crs Saunderson and Granger will simply be offered employment in the Labor party administrative machine and nothing will change,” he said.
“As employees of the Labor party, they’ll continue to have conflict of duty which will overshadow all of their actions and decisions on council.”
Cr Saunderson said Cr Kontelj was waging a “personal vendetta”.
“This is a continuation of a personal campaign by Cr Kontelj to attack myself as retribution for defeating his brother in council elections five months ago,” he said.
“He thinks that if he puts enough pressure on me through my employer that I’ll resign and it’ll give his brother another go.”
Cr Saunderson said he would not resign from council.
“I’m not intending to work for a member of parliament, either.”
Cr Granger did not return the Independent’s call for comment before the paper went to press.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...