Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeEntertainmentGeetroit's Motor City music fest to rock on again

Geetroit’s Motor City music fest to rock on again

By NOEL MURPHY

ROCK fans rejoice, Motor City Music Festival will return to Geelong Showgrounds next Labor Day weekend with 40 thumping, grooving, roaring acts.

Director Hugo T Armstrong said the festival had secured major events funding from City Hall after a successful baptism earlier this year.

The first motor City saw tribute bands including Pearl: The Ultimate Janis Joplin Show, The Australian Doors Show, The Australian Queen Tribute Show, Shed Zeppelin, Appetite for Destruction, Thunderstruck and Kisstroyer.

Other performers at the three-day show included Chocolate Starfish, Nick Barker and the Heartache State, Geelong’s Diehard Dolls, Jimi Hocking’s Blues Machine and Chris Wilson’s Crown of Thorns. Blues aficionados rocked out Jimi Hocking Blues Machine, and Geoff Achison and Lloyd Spiegel belting out duelling guitars.

“We’re pumped to be able to reprise what we delivered at the inaugural Motor City Music Festival,” Armstrong told the Independent.

“In all my years running festivals I’ve received lots of compliments and been very privileged but I’ve never been so overwhelmed as I was at Motor City.

“People were telling me all weekend, ‘This is exactly what Geelong needs, this is great’ – that was the number-one comment all weekend. There were so many proud Geelong people.”

Armstrong said City Hall’s major events unit had underpinned the festival with support for the next two years.

Council’s major events portfolio holder, Ron Nelson, said Geelong deserved an affordable music festival.

“I went to the first festival and Hugo certainly knows how to run a music festival,” Cr Nelson sasid.

“He had a fantastic variety of bands indoors and outdoors and, now he has a product to sell, I’m sure we’ll get a lot more people.”

Armstrong said next year’s event would include new tribute bands and blues acts alongside some big names in country and rock music.
Motor City would release its first performer list next month, he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...