Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyDisabled man sexually assaulted at public toilet

Disabled man sexually assaulted at public toilet

By ALANA MITCHELSON

A Highton man allegedly launched a sex assault on a disabled man in a Belmont public toilet, police said on Thursday.
Police alleged the man, 66, followed the 24-year-old wheelchair-bound victim into a Barrabool Road toilet block about 4pm Wednesday.
Senior Constable Wesley Martin said the victim was left traumatised.
“The victim went home and told his carer. He reported the incident to us at about 5pm.
“He has cerebral palsy and he’s been trying to work on his independence. This incident has really affected his confidence.
“We’ve arrested a man and he’s assisting us with inquiries.”
Sen Const Martin said the attack was unusual for its time mid-week.
“A number of years ago there’d been some problems in that area but we haven’t seen any similar incidents there recent times.
“We haven’t yet heard from any witnesses but are urging two young women and possibly another man who were in the area at the time to come forward with any information that could assist police.”
Anyone with information can phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

New project blooms

More News

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....