Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyDump 'snub’

Dump ‘snub’

By CHERIE DONNELLAN

A NEW State Government initiative against illegally dumped rubbish has snubbed a North Geelong Salvation Army store despite its reputation as “one of the worst” for dumping.
Salvos waste and sustainability manager Donald Munro said the joint study between Monash University and with State Government decided against including the North Geelong store because it already had security cameras.
But Mr Munro said the store was spending $42,000 a year removing rubbish because cameras were inadequately positioned.
“We haven’t got the cameras in a proper place to identify number plates of the stream of people dropping off rubbish.”
Mr Munro said the study would help find ways to combat dumping, which mostly occurred late Sunday nights and early Monday mornings.
“We’ve got footage of people dumping stuff at one, two and three in the morning.
“We’ve got a 4.5-cubic-metre bin on the site that a rubbish contractor empties for us and he has to do that three or four times on Mondays.”
Mr Munro said Salvos management considered erecting fencing around the North Geelong store but worried customers might think it resembled “a prison”.
“We’re mindful that we want to create a friendly atmosphere for customers and genuine donators.”
State Government announced last week that 38 Salvation Army and Vinnies stores would share in $500,000 funding to trial illegal dumping prevention measures.
Environment Minister Ryan Smith said “fences, cameras, surveillance systems, sensor lighting and a raft of signage” would be trialled over three months.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...