Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAlcoa seeks to turn off power

Alcoa seeks to turn off power

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

ALCOA is using hardship provisions to terminate a long-term multi-million dollar deal to buy electricity for its Pt Henry smelter from AGL.
But AGL has disputed the hardship claim, arguing Alcoa has no right to terminate the contract.
Alcoa has issued a Supreme Court writ against AGL seeking a declaration that the termination notice is valid, with a hearing scheduled later this month.
The Point Henry smelter has been under a cloud since Alcoa announced a review of the operation in February last year.
Alcoa managing director Alan Cransberg said when announcing the review that the “unprofitable” smelter was unlikely to be “competitive in the foreseeable future”.
The six-month review resulted in a $42 million government bailout of the plant to safeguard 600 jobs for two years.
Alcoa claimed the hardship provisions were triggered if producing aluminium at the smleter “becomes uneconomical”.
The company said the contract called for 90 days’ negotiation, with Alcoa allowed to terminate the deal if the parties were unable to reach agreement.
Alcoa said the parties negotiated four times in March last year without a resolution.
Alcoa said it issued a termination notice on 27 March this year but AGL countered the notice was too late.
An Alcoa spokesperson confirmed the company was trying to terminate the contract with AGL Loy Yang from August 2014.
The termination would not affect Alcoa’s ability to operate the smelter or to secure another electricity supply, the spokesperson said.
US-based Alcoa this week posted a 59 per cent jump in profit, indicating an upswing in the aluminium industry.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...