Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMethane leaks testing widens

Methane leaks testing widens

By PAUL MILLAR

INVESTIGATORS from City of Greater Geelong have extended testing for methane leaks from a former rubbish tip below a South Geelong industrial estate.
City services general manager William Tieppo said additional testing was under way in areas that previously returned positive results for methane at Birkett Plc and Hede St.
Mr Tieppo said surrounding areas would also be tested to determine the extent of the outbreak.
Additional tests had so far found low methane levels but the City would carry out more testing in the coming weeks, he said.
Environment Protection Authority Victoria issued two pollution abatement notices to the City after elevated levels of methane were recorded in seven buildings situated on top of the former landfill earlier this month.
Mr Tieppo said public safety was a priority.
The City was providing its tests results to relevant government departments and agencies such as WorkSafe, the EPA and the CFA, he said.
Council officers and staff from the EPA had door-knocked businesses in the light industrial estate last Friday to provide information relating to the previous tests and to advise on future testing.
Council and the agencies would continue to inform tenants and landowners of the results, Mr Tieppo said.
Any steps to reduce landfill gas emissions would be investigated once authorities had a clearer understanding of the extent and nature of the South Geelong emissions, he said.
The City was also conducting tests for methane leaks at a recently closed Corio landfill.
A 2008 methane leaks into a housing estate in Melbourne’s southwestern suburbs forced the evacuation of homes and cost City of Casey millions of dollars.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...