Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyRoad works ‘driving us crazy’

Road works ‘driving us crazy’

Erin Pearson
GEELONG road work speed zones are driving motorists crazy, according to Independent readers.
They have used the paper’s Facebook page to pinpoint zones causing frustration after State Government introduced new laws banning road works speed reductions of more than 20km/h below normal limits.
Inverleigh’s Nikki Dell cited the “Hamilton Highway just past the ring road heading towards Inverleigh”.
“It’s been 70km/h for ages. [The] road hasn’t even began to be fixed (and) it’s pretty much in dire need of being re-laid”.
Gheringhap’s Emily Dowling expressed concern about works at Belmont.
“[Near] Kmart there seems to be road works but every time I drive by there’s no one there,” she said.
“I never see anyone actually working. They’ve dropping the speed limit down to 40km/h.”
Roads and Ports Minister Tim Pallas said the new laws also penalised contractors for leaving out reduced-speed signs while work was not underway.
“We understand the frustration of motorists driving through road work zones when there is no work going on, which is why we’re introducing a code of practice that all contractors will have to adhere to or risk being excluded from bidding for future government-funded road projects,” he said.
“While recognising the need for roadwork speed limits, at times they are inappropriate for the type of works underway, are set out too far, or in some cases are left in place too long.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...