Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy‘Hundreds of jobs’ in $630m container plan

‘Hundreds of jobs’ in $630m container plan

Andrew Mathieson
PLANS to shift most of Melbourne’s container trade to Geelong would create 350 jobs, according to the city’s port manager.
Asciano said the project would also require dredging and widening of Corio Bay shipping channels so container ships could reach the port.
The stevedore company has put the plan to State Government, proposing removal of Melbourne’s Swanston Dock container operations to allow population growth around Williamstown.
Work in Geelong would start about 2014 before container trade followed two years later.
Asciano chief executive Mark Rowsthorn said the 350 jobs in the container handling industry would be on top of additional work in a customs processing centre.
The project would give Geelong certainty of a “high-employment business with a big flow on for a very long period of time,” he said.
“There will be a lot of money to spend to build the port in the first place and a lot of jobs associated with that.”
Mr Rowsthorn expected widespread support in Geelong for the project.
“One of the great things about this port is if it gets built we’ll be here for 50 years,” he said.
“We’re talking about a long-term industry. We can’t shut our container terminals down because we’re reliant on them for all our trade.”
Mr Rowsthorn said the first stage of the project would cost $270 million.
Deepening and widening of the channels would cost $360 million, he said.
The second stage of the project would require Asciano to buy out some businesses neighbouring the port land before 2019.
Mr Rowsthorn ruled out compulsory acquisitions of private homes to make way for the container trade.
“We can do it without displacing any of the existing land or homes,” he said.
However, the project would affect four houses next to Pivot’s North Shore operations.
“They would have to deal with noise abatement and probably a buffer,” Mr Rowsthorn said.
Under the plan a smaller portion of Melbourne’s container trade would shift to Port of Hastings.
Geelong’s port currently handles bulk shipping of products such as oil, grain and woodchips.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...