Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyHomeless facing an Antarctic blast

Homeless facing an Antarctic blast

By PAUL MILLAR

GEELONG’S homeless are in for an Antarctic-like cold snap this weekend, with up to 40 homeless people shivering through bone-chilling darkness outdoors in every night.
Weather reports said it would be eastern Australia’s coldest snap in five years, extending as far as northern Queensland.
Local homelessness services said some would even be heading to the You Yangs for isolation and security despite weekend top temperatures of just 10 and 11 degrees.
The Salvation Army said it was hard to determine the number of homeless in Geelong as many couch surfed, or slept in cars, but the number of locals exposed to the wintry elements nightly was on the rise.
Damien Bernasconi, from Salvo Connect Belmont, said there had been a steady increase in women sleeping rough, despite the bitterly cold nights.
“I really do not know how some of them survive,” he said.
With the region set to be hit with another cold-snap accompanied by persistent rain, it will be a testing time for care providers as well as the homeless.
“It’s getting tougher as there is an increase in people coming through our services. We estimate there would be 40 people sleeping rough every night in Geelong,” Mr Bernasconi said.
“There has also been an increase in women, there’s a lot of mental health issues and then there’s family violence problems. They are sleeping down by the river and some go to the You Yangs,” he said.
Many of the homeless opted to avoid the city as they could become targets, preferring the isolation of the bush.
“We try and engage with them as best we can. Some of them have lost living skills, we do try and get them off the streets as quickly as possible, however, some have been on the streets for years,” Mr Bernasconi said.
The Salvation Army has donated swags to a number of homeless people, but the cost is prohibitive.
Salvo Connect in Belmont provides showers, a laundry and a community room for the homeless.
Mr Bernasconi said people should be more aware of the strugglers around them and the help services on offer.
Josephine Barnes from Samaritan House, providing crisis accommodation for men, said its four rooms were full, accommodating six men.
The organisation, which is not government funded, is opening another nine beds in the next month to cope with a climbing demand.
“There is an increase in demand, especially when it is bitterly cold,” Ms Barnes said.
“Our aim is to get people into some sort of accommodation, some go back to couch surfing, others we do not know where they go,” she said
Ms Barnes said while the city had plenty of homeless it also had many volunteers and donors prepared to help.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...
More News

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...