Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCity sell-off job fears

City sell-off job fears

JOB fears have been raised by the Australian Services Union in the wake of City Hall’s budget plans to sell off $11 million of community-owned assets including the Old Geelong Gaol.
The budget plans follow a controversial report late last year by former premier Jeff Kennett’s CT Management Group recommending asset sales of $56 million.
According to the ASU, the asset sell-off will have “detrimental effects” on some council workers and “the community as a whole”.
“Selling off council assets – including the possible sale of golf courses and historic council buildings – could lead to job losses,” ASU assistant secretary Richard Duffy told the Independent.
“The main concern is that if assets are sold or jobs are contracted out, new enterprises could end up hiring people who do not contribute or live in the Geelong region at a lower wage rate, impacting the quality of services delivered while locals suffer.
“These types of decisions negate the supposed standpoint of councillors of mayor Lyons, who maintain that retaining and creating jobs in Geelong is of utmost importance.”
The ASU said asset sales, and reports of contracting out childcare services, totally contradicted mayor Darryn Lyons’ “supposed stance that saving jobs in the local community is paramount”.
The asset sell-off contrasts comments last October by former mayor Bruce Harwood that council coffers were “in a very strong financial position”.
CT Management’s report was ordered by ex-mayor Keith Fagg as an independent analysis of council finances. It suggested the possible sale of Old Geelong Gaol, Osborne House, Elcho Park, Queen’s Park and the Balyang par-three golf courses.
Mr Kennett earlier called for administrators to replace councillors if they were unable to work out governance issues related to council’s $7.2-million-a-year ward funding scheme – a scheme which has since been stopped by the State Government although the latest City budget apportioned $7 million to CBD works.
The CT Management commission by the City came under criticism by a former deputy mayor, Anthony Aitken, for being struck without a quotation process or competitive tendering. The ASU was “especially concerned” about childcare centres going to contractors and said workforce uncertainty was of great concern to ratepayers and employees alike.
“Council seem to be proposing wholesale changes without really considering the snowball affect it could have on so many,” Mr Duffy said.
“News that council will increase spending by more than $1 million for consultants for Geelong CBD planning will be a hard pill to swallow if any future changes jeopardise the employment of hard-working council employees.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...
More News

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...