Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCompetitor in markets move

Competitor in markets move

By MICHELLE HERBISON
TWO FORMER Mill Markets sites will create competition for the brand’s Newcomb operations under new ownership revealed this week.
Williamstown’s John and Robyn Lah will operate vintage markets at the sites in North Geelong and Brougham St under a new name.
The move follows months of negotiations on the business and numerous sites after former boss Ian Ballis plunged Mill Markets into administration.
The Independent reported last week that Geelong antiques dealer Mark Ward had bought the Mill Markets business with plans to “centralise” Geelong operations at Bellarine Hwy, Newcomb.
Administrator Sellers Muldoon Benton’s said Mr Ward would have sole rights to the Mill Markets brand.
Mr Ward would also continue operating Mill Markets at Daylesford and Ballarat.
He declined an offer to purchase the North Geelong and Brougham St sites to avoid “too much dilution” in the town.
Mr Lah, a Mill Markets stallholder for 10 years, was optimistic Geelong had the capacity for multiple vintage retailers.
“You could call it competition but the more the better,” he said.
“(North Geelong) is fairly new but people are coming here from word of mouth and our little sign out the front.
“I can really see it growing. We’ll probably get new Melbourne clientele coming in here, too.”
Mr Lah said he would continue to run the businesses under a similar model to Mill Markets, with stallholders selling antiques and bric-a-brac on commission or renting space.
Mr Lah, who operates with his wife a Bam Bam Vintage store in Williamstown, would also consider bringing a costume shop to the North Geelong site.
Mr Ward was “more than happy” with Mr Lah operating a similar business at the two locations.
Individual stallholders at Mr Lah’s sites could “make their own decision” to stay or move to Newcomb, Mr Ward said.
“I won’t be influencing them at all.
“Newcomb’s just about full now anyway. When I took it over it was about 75 per cent full.
“In just our first week of operations we increased overall takings by 13 per cent.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...