Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy$8b port bid alive

$8b port bid alive

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN
STATE Government will investigate a proposal for an $8 billion container port between Geelong and Werribee, Freedom of Information documents have revealed.
The documents, obtained by the opposition, revealed that the Government had hired consultant firm GHD to examine the Bay West option against the Port of Hastings.
Shadow ports minister Tim Pallas said the Department of Transport was studying Bay West despite Government claims it was off the agenda.
The Independent reported in September that a confidential Department of Transport briefing advised investigation of the Bay West container option.
The briefing documents, whichthe opposition also obtained under FoI, warned that the Government’s preferred option at Hastings could be too small.
The Independent reported in June that industry supported a Bay West container port between Point Wilson and Werribee.
A western transport study identified Bay West as the best option for a container port for transportation links.
Victorian Freight and Logistics Council and Property Council of Australia both support consideration of Bay West.
Mr Pallas said the Baillieu Government could waste nearly $20 billion on three Victorian ports when building Bay West to serve the state for several decades would save taxpayers more than $10 billion.
“(Ports Minister) Mr Napthine would have you believe that Bay West is at least 50 years away, after Hastings is developed as a container port, but the minister’s own department seems to have other ideas,” Mr Pallas said.
“The Baillieu Government’s current plan is to ignore industry specialists, departmental advice and common sense and plough ahead on a multi-billion spending spree for a port that will cost business, the consumer and taxpayers more.”
City of Greater Geelong economic development head Terry Demeo said at a VECCI regional Victoria conference two weeks ago that Bay West would create huge supply chain efficiencies.
Mr Demeo said dredging would allow fully laden bulk and container ships to gain access to the port.
“It would also open up new tourism opportunities for the state’s south and west by creating the possibility of Geelong becoming a permanent destination for cruise liners,” he stold the conference.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...