Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyNorthern ‘allies’ opposing Ansett

Northern ‘allies’ opposing Ansett

The first alliance of ward candidates has emerged for October’s council elections, with three contenders for Windemere confirming their mutual support.
Lara mother Kylie Grzybek and former Geelong councillor Anthony Aitken announced their candidacy this week after ex-Bisinella Developments spokesman David Withington revealed his in last Friday’s Indy.
The three confirmed they would campaign in co-operation, with Mr Withington describing the arrangement as “in support” of each other rather than a ticket.
“Let’s just say that if two of us were elected, we’d be able to work very well together for the ward,” he said.
The trio will take on former multiple-term councillor Tony Ansett, the only other contender so far for the northern ward’s two seats on council.
Mr Ansett was on the previous council, which the Andrews Government sacked largely for an alleged “culture of bullying” at City Hall.
Ms Grzybek, a 41-year-old mother of two, planned to campaign on community safety, lower rates, and a “fair share for the north”.
She described herself as a “passionate member” of her community after living in Lara for 38 years, during which time she had served on several community groups.
“Just like everyone living in the north, I believe we owe our children a safer and healthier future,” she said.
“I want my boys and every other child living in the north to grow up in a positive community that looks after them, that keeps them away from crime and that lets them reach their potential.
“We can improve lighting in public spaces, we can look at CCTV in problem areas, we can work more closely with Neighbourhood Watch and youth organisations and we can give the kids something productive to do with their time.”
Ms Grzybek who unsuccessfully stood for election to council in 2012, also wanted more sports facilities and “better-utilised public open space” across the ward.
Mr Aitken said he would “strongly advocate” for Windemere, using his experience as a councillor with the former Shire of Corio and for the first City of Greater Geelong council after municipal amalgamations in 1996.
“The north has a lot of good things in it and good people who call it home,” he said.
“However, it needs strong voices that can highlight the significant disadvantage being experienced by many in the northern suburbs and the pressures that population growth has brought to Lara.”
Now working at Lara, Mr Aitken described himself as “born and raised in Corio”.
“I know the north, and we deserve a fair share from the Geelong council.
“Council is not just the CBD.”
Mr Aitken echoed one of Ms Grzybek’s campaign priorities, saying the next council must work in a “professional manner”.
He wanted council leadership that worked collaboratively with state and federal governments “to ensure all who live in Geelong experience a better Geelong”.
Voters will elect 11 councillors across four wards after State Government restructured Geelong’s council. Windermere, covering Lara and parts of northern Geelong, will be the only ward with two councillors, the others having three each.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...