Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyNorth’s health centre gets State Budget short shrift: Ramsay

North’s health centre gets State Budget short shrift: Ramsay

By NOEL MURPHY

IT MIGHT be the number one item needed in Geelong battler northern suburbs but the Barwon Health North mini-hospital was given short shrift by Labor in this week’s State budget.
Liberal MP Simon Ramsay took the Government to task in parliament for short-changing the project which he said the Department of Health wanted under way next year.
“I have scanned the budget papers … and the only reference I can find in relation to a commitment from Labor is on page 41 of budget paper 4, where it indicates that the estimated cost of expenditure for Barwon Health North is now $33 million, and the expenditure as at June this year is $380,000,” he said.
“There is a line item that suggests $1.7 million has been allocated for the 2015-16 financial year. I have googled Barwon Health North, but I can find no reference made to it by any of the sitting Labor MPs since that announcement in October.
“Because I have been told that the directive from government is that opposition MPs are not to talk to Barwon Health to gather information in relation to this commitment, I ask the minister to provide an assurance that the government is committed to this health service for northern Geelong and to provide to the chamber a construction time frame for this facility.”
Barwon Health North, the previous Liberal government’s response to a public campaign for a northern hospital, was to be $28 million “innovative and integrated community-based ambulatory care service model providing an urgent care centre”, incorporating the Corio Community Centre.
It reneged, however, on an election promise to build a $50m stand-alone community hospital at Waurn Ponds.
Mr Ramsay said that when announced, 12 months ago, the Barwon Health North facility was heralded as unprecedented. Despite its non-hospital status, he said it “surprised many” that it took a coalition government to provide health funding to a region that was “strongly held by Labor but was ignored by both federal and state Labor MPs for decades”.
“It was an important commitment given that one-third of category 4 and 5 patients presenting at Geelong’s emergency department were from Geelong’s northern suburbs,” he said.
“While this announcement was made in early May 2014, prior to the budget, a proposed site was under consideration in consultation with the City of Greater Geelong.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...