Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCome on Over for song debut

Come on Over for song debut

By SAM BRIMACOMBE

Doctors held little hope for family man Michael Stangel after invasive surgery for brain and heart tumours in 2013.
But after competing in television‘s The Voice the same year, the Geelong cancer survivor has released debut single Come on Over.
The song debuted at number one on the Australian iTunes blues charts last month, knocking aside US star Jason Derulo.
His fans’ support for the song “overwhelmed” Stengel.
“It was incredible,” he said.
“I just thought it tested the fan base and they responded really well. It was a great feeling.”
Judges on The Voice, Deltra Goodrem and Joel Madden, praised Stangel for his raw, gutsy voice.
Madden described him as “a fighter, a brawler and a representation of Australia”.
Stangel said The Voice helped shape how he made music, particularly when it came to finding an audience.
“I found it changed the way I approached the music business.
“There were little facets from everybody on the show that changed the way I promote my music.
“It’s opened up a whole new audience. The experience was fantastic.”
Stangel has been in the music industry in many shapes and forms over the past 33 years. He has produced and written music, owned a recording label, toured Melbourne and performed in countless bands.
But he found his niche in singing.
“I’ll keep on doing it all till I find something I’m good at,” he laughed.
“I started out as a drummer and just progressed to different instruments. The last thing I did was sing but singing has been the thing that has given people the opportunity to know who I am.”
Stangel said he would continue releasing singles until his album was out.
The album, An Aussie Spirit, was due for release later this year after Come on Over’s local debut at Beav’s Bar in Geelong from 6pm Sunday, he said.
“We do this thing where we’re playing lots of instruments at the same time – singing, guitar, drums, all of it,” Stangel laughed.
He forecast variety at the launch.
“We do some really left of centre covers of songs and some original stuff that’s about to come out and some stuff that I did on the show.”
Stangel said his guests would include fellow The Voice competitors Danny Ross and Kiyomi Vella.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...