Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy$30m hospital boost in disappointing budget share

$30m hospital boost in disappointing budget share

Alex de Vos
The Geelong region is set to receive $100 million in funding from State Government’s $11.5 billion 2009 budget.
Big-ticket items for Geelong included $30 million for a new hospital surgical ward and a previously-announced $23 million to improve bus services around the region.
The budget also allocated more than $40 million to the region’s schools and over $30 for new emergency services equipment and facilities.
Geelong Performing Arts Centre receives $3 million to refurbish its Ford Theatre, while $3.5 million will go to improving the region’s dental services.
The budget also allocated $800,000 for a walking trail between Torquay and Airey’s Inlet.
Geelong Labor MPs welcomed the budget in a joint statement.
“In the 2006 election we promised to invest in the services that matter to Victorian families and this budget delivers on those commitments,” the MPs said.
“The 2009 budget focuses on making Victoria and the Geelong region the best possible place to live, work and raise a family.”
Geelong Liberal councillor Andrew Katos, who holds council’s planning and finance portfolio, said the budget was disappointing.
“It’s all welcome but Geelong could have done better,” Cr Katos said.
Opposition Western Region MP David Koch believed the region’s share of the budget was “insignificant”.
“Over four years Geelong will receive $100 million, while the state revenue will be between $120 and $150 billion,” Mr Koch said.
“No funds have been made available in support of Geelong-to-Melbourne commuters or further resources in frontline police.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...