Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy100 more police ‘over four years’

100 more police ‘over four years’

By Luke Voogt

At least 100 new cops will arrive in Geelong during the next four years following a state-wide recruiting push, Police Minister Lisa Neville has promised.
“The Chief Commissioner has made it clear that Geelong is under pressure,” said Ms Neville, who is also the Bellarine MP.
“Geelong will get additional frontline police as determined by the new staff allocation model.”
A Government source this week confirmed Geelong would have 100 frontline officers and “probably more” from 3135 new Victorian police.
The source said the number took likely attrition figures into account.
The boost follows the Indy last month reporting a drop in Geelong police numbers during the past year despite a 20 per cent crime surge across the city.
Geelong lost one equivalent-full-time officer between September 2015 and 2016 despite the Andrews Government announcing an increase of 155 across the state.
The Government funded 17 extra police custody officers for Geelong during the same time.
Last week the Andrews Government announced an additional 2729 frontline officers over four years, also allowing for attrition.
“Combined with the 406 additional police fast-tracked from this year’s budget, we will have 3135 recruits in the pipeline over the next four years,” Ms Neville said.
The Police Minister declined to announce the exact number of police Geelong would receive.
“This will be a matter for Victoria Police,” she said.
But coalition MP Simon Ramsay said the boost would come too late.
“Victoria’s population has grown by over 200,000 people since Daniel Andrews took over,” said the Western Victoria MP.
“We’ve spent more than a year calling for additional police numbers that reflect this growth.”
Mr Ramsay said the boost was only part of the solution to “the crime wave hitting Geelong and the Bellarine”.
He repeated calls for harsher penalties for youth offenders.
On Tuesday morning the State Government announced it would introduce a number of new laws targeting youth offenders.
The laws would include strict curfews, supervision requirements and increased maximum sentencing in youth detention.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...