Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyDeadline set on dumped ferry

Deadline set on dumped ferry

By LUKE VOOGT

The owner of a ferry dumped on Corio Bay must reveal his plans for the vessel by 16 June, according to Victoria’s channels authority.
Victorian Regional Channels Authority (VRCA) set the deadline after moving Queen of Melbourne to Corio Quay last month.
The ferry had sat disused at anchor on the bay for nearly a year.
VRCA commercial manager Kas Szakiel said a disused meatworks wharf at Corio Quay South was the safest available location for the ferry.
Leaving the ferry in the bay at the mercy of winter storms was “too dangerous,” he said.
“The biggest fear for us was that it could break its anchor and damage other objects.”
The VRCA was struggling to determine whether the ferry had a new owner, Mr Szakiel said.
He had been dealing with Farooq Qamar, who owned the ferry when it arrived on the bay, but was now in talks with a second man, Ahmad Ayad.
“We’re trying to find that out (the ferry ownership),” Mr Szakiel said.
Berthing the ferry cost the VCRA nothing but it had incurred engineering and legal costs from preparing the wharf and trying to determine the ferry’s future, he said.
Mr Szakiel was unable to rule out seizing the vessel if the owner failed to meet the deadline.
“I’m not a lawyer, so I wouldn’t rule anything in or out.”
The Queen of Melbourne has had a troublesome history since Mr Qamar bought it in Norway for $300,000 in 2014.
A standoff between Mr Qamar and ship captain Stephan Tate left the ferry stranded on the bay in May last year.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...