Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyConcerns over cost of screens

Concerns over cost of screens

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

Victoria’s acting Health Services Commissioner has urged Geelong residents to visit doctors instead of signing up for expensive medical screening tests.
Dr Grant Davies issued the advice as private company Screen for Life marketed its services in Geelong, inviting residents to screening clinics.
The company has operated three clinics in the region since late April, with its $225 stroke tests ineligible for a Medicare rebate.
Dr Davies said a broad-based screening approach was “not warranted” in the absence of any clinical health issues.
“We would always encourage people to see a medical practitioner and have diagnostic screening tests performed on basis of clinical need.”
Dr Davies said Screen for Life had been referred to Consumer Affairs Victoria because “it may be a consumer issue more than a health issue”.
Screen for Life has also come to the attention of health services commissioners in New South Wales and the ACT.
ACT Health Services Commissioner Mary Durkin said the testing might be unnecessary and the results could be questioned.
The marketing material, aimed at over 50s, was “emotive”, she said.
A Screen for Life spokesperson said the company offered preventative health screening by qualified sonographers and nurses.
“Screen for Life staff are licensed to practice their speciality and operate to strict clinical guidelines,” she said.
The screening was aimed at people with one or more risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
“Tests for people who do not have symptoms but have risk factors or are concerned are not typically covered by Medicare, hence the need for Screen for Life’s service. If the screening tests show demonstrable signs of further risk factors patients are advised to consult their health practitioner about follow-up diagnostic tests and treatment.”
The spokesperson said the new approach was needed in Australia to reduce cardiovascular disease.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...