Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndySky's the limit for Geelong high-rises as tallest building approved

Sky’s the limit for Geelong high-rises as tallest building approved

By Luke Voogt

Skyscrapers could take over Geelong’s skyline after Victoria’s Planning Minister approved the city’s tallest building this week.
Richard Wynne refused to rule out taller buildings after giving the 21-storey apartment tower the go-ahead on Thursday.
“I’ll deal with each development on a case-by-case basis,” he said.
“The sky’s not the limit.”
Mr Wynne approved the Miramar building for Cavendish St despite a report last month that Labor’s Member for Geelong opposed its height as “not Geelong“, saying she would “certainly not support“ developments over 15 storeys.
But Christine Couzens now considered Miramar the “broader context” of Geelong’s development, Mr Wynne said.
“I’ve talked to Christine at length. She’s fully supportive of the project.
“This is one of central Geelong’s first high-rise residential towers and we’ve given careful consideration to ensuring it suits the city’s skyline.”
Mr Wynne expected central Geelong to house 10,000 residents by 2028.
“Geelong is one of Victoria’s most attractive places to live and is growing at rapid rate,” he said.
“New housing options close to services helps us cater to population growth.”
The new building, Miramar, would create 300 jobs or two or three years, said its development manager, Geordie Edwards.
“What we’re trying to do is enhance the city precinct,” he said.
The developers had explained Mirmar’s “low-impact” on surrounding commercial areas to Ms Couzens, Mr Edwards said.
“I think she needed a bit more information on what we were trying to achieve.”
Agents had already sold 37 of the 112 apartments, mostly to owner-occupiers, Mr Edwards said.
“A number of them are looking to downsize.”
Agents sold 19 apartments in March ahead of Mr Wynne’s official approval.
“We went in with a very strong idea we were getting approval,” Mr Geordie said.
Planning consultant Anna Borthwick said the developers worked closely with the state’s planning body to make sure the building reflected the character of Geelong.
The project underwent two state architect panel reviews before approval, she said.
“There’s no point designing apartments that (only) people in Melbourne will like.”
Nearby residents had mixed reactions to the development.
Steve Nasmith welcomed Miramar but doubted that central Geelong had adequate amenities to support numerous residential developments.
“There’s nothing here and look at the roads,” he said.
Georgia Delaney was concerned about the construction process.
“I’m not looking forward to the noise.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...
More News

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...