Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPolice chase ’footy thugs’

Police chase ’footy thugs’

A GROUP of players from a northern Geelong football club assaulted three people “without provocation” early Sunday morning, according to police.
Sergeant Aaron Riches told the Independent a 20-year-old victim received serious injuries requiring hospital treatment after being punched in the face “without rhyme or reason”.
About six players were reportedly involved in the assaults after being refused entry to several nightclubs due to their behaviour and attire.
“The first incident occurred about 2am at the front of Home House nightclub where players seemingly for no reason assaulted two bystanders and a security guard. We’d love to hear from anyone who saw that incident,” Sgt Riches said.
“The offenders were Caucasian males aged between 18 and 22 with brown to light-brown hair.”
Sgt Riches said the alleged offenders then went to Little Malop St where they were refused entry to three nightclubs.
Within two minutes of inflicting serious injuries on the 20-year-old at the corner of Shorts Pl and Little Malop St they attacked another man in Moorabool St who was with his partner.
“It was just wayward aggression. There were three or four aggressors of that group of six,” Sgt Riches said.
Police had identified one member of the group but were reviewing CCTV footage for more information.
Sgt Riches encouraged witnesses or anyone with information to phone Geelong Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
A recently-introduced police crackdown imposed fines of at least $600 and a 12-month Geelong Liquor Licence Accord Ban or a court summons on anyone performing “riotous behaviour” including fighting, acts of aggression and disorderly conduct.
“The days of throwing a punch are over,” Sgt Riches said.
“We’re adamant we will apply this in every instance to try to stop any violent behaviour and make people feel safe in the CBD.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...