Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyFord to fast-track new models, R&D jobs

Ford to fast-track new models, R&D jobs

FORD is set to fast-track its new vehicle launches in what it says is a bid to help auto suppliers win business globally.

The move follows the auto-maker’s decision to cut its manufacturing operations by 2016, cutting 1200 jobs.

Ford said it was helping staff hit by the shutdown to find new work. It said it would employ a marketing team of 20 to back its growth plans.

Reports ahead of an official statement expected this morning said the company would also refresh its lineup, including launches of the Falcon, Territory, Mondeo, Focus and Mustang by next year.

Ford said it was helping Victorian auto suppliers find new business in its global operations, leading so far to nine Australian companies earning business with Ford globally.

Victorian Manufacturing Minister David Hodgett was reported as saying the government would back Ford’s efforts to find new opportunities for auto suppliers overseas.

“Despite its recent announcement to close its production operations by 2016, Ford still expects to be Australia’s largest automotive employer which is great news for the Victorian economy,” Mr Hodgett told one media outlet.

“Importantly, Ford is also introducing local suppliers to new business opportunities within the company’s global operations.”

Ford said also that it was providing competitive redundancy packages for workers, some of whom it has helped move to other jobs.

“Helping employees transition to the next phases of their careers and lives is a critical priority for Ford,” Ford Australia boss Bob Graziano told AAP.

The carmaker has stumped up $10 million to a $49 million investment package, backed by state and federal governments in response to Ford’s closure announcement.

Ford is expected to today announce plans to become Australia’s largest auto employer by 2018, within two years of its manufacturing sackings.

The new jobs are expected to include some 1500 highly skilled employees across fields such as engineering and design.

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...