Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy150 jobs Huyck to shut factory

150 jobs Huyck to shut factory

Alex de Vos and Andrew Mathieson
About 150 workers will lose their jobs when Huyck Australia closes its Geelong factory at the end of March.
Huyck confirmed the job losses yesterday three weeks before Christmas after staff discovered the plan to close the factory on the parent company’s American website.
Huyck Australia’s Paul Brown said the job cuts were part of an Australian-and-Asia-wide “review of its production operations”.
“The parent company (Xerium Technologies) has announced a number of changes at Geelong and Asian sites, including a change in production capacity,” Mr Brown said.
The company would continue operating sales and administration departments at the Breakwater site.
“We’re phasing out production but I want to make it clear (Huyck Australia) will continue to operate in Geelong and serve our Australian clients,” Mr Brown said.
“All employees who will lose their jobs as a result of today’s decision have been advised they will be paid award entitlements in full.”
Mr Brown said the company would provide “placement positions” and a “stay bonus” to keep working until the factory closed.
“The stay bonus is a fixed amount of money the employees will receive if they can work productively to the end date,” he said.
Textiles Clothing and Footwear Union national and state secretary Michele O’Neil slammed the company’s lack of consultation with staff.
“We, as a union, and the workers at the site have been concerned for months that the company was planning to close,” she said.
“Despite all our efforts to get the company to confirm their intentions they refused as late as last week. The workers have been trying for more than six months to finalise an agreement and to get clear answers about their future.”
Ms O’Neil described staff finding the closure plan on the Xerium Technologies website as “extraordinarily insulting”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...