Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyDouble Take

Double Take

Have we reached peak Patty yet?
It’s the question that must be asked after yet another week full of Patrick Dangerfield (pictured).
Front page, back page, on TV, on the internet, on the radio – he’s a one-man brand for a team in a one-club town.
Yep, lovely bloke, great footy player and very welcome back after a few years with the Crows.
But, after seeming saturation coverage since the start of the season, surely this week’s surfing-in-a-suit stunt was some kind of a tipping point.
Maybe it’s time for a media blackout except for his three votes against Essendon this weekend, and the Tigers the next, and the Lions after that, and then the Demons, and don’t forget the Brownlow…
More peaks to come, by the looks.

Then again, Geelong’s always been besotted with its local footy hero of the day.
Double Take can even remember back to the ‘90s when elements of the Kennett government were keen to preselect Billy Brownless (pictured) in the extremely safe state Labor seat of Lara, or Corio as it was known at the time.
A loveable larrikin on the field, Billy was previously unknown in political circles, so a team from the Indy decided to survey voters on the likelihood of a Brownless victory.
The verdict of 100 respondents at Corio Shopping Centre was emphatic: 95 per cent support for a Liberal Billy over Labor incumbent Peter Loney, or any other challenger for that matter.
One older couple summed up the celebrity effect when the male of the pair said he’d vote for Brownless as a Liberal candidate.
“But you’ve always voted Labor,” said his wife, elbowing him in the side.
“I know,” he agreed, wincing, “but it’s Billy!”

The political adage about never calling a review unless you know the result might turn on its head for the Andrews government with its Citizens’ Jury to shape Geelong’s next council.
The Government recently tasked a Citizens’ Jury to provide recommendations on regional Victorian infrastructure.
Well, the jury’s report came out this week with a series of demanded projects – including the now-trashed East West Link.
Remember East West, which cost Victoria $1 billion after Daniel Andrews tore up the construction contracts?
Whoops! No doubt Mr Andrews will now await the Geelong jury verdict with just a little trepidation.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Around the grounds

More News

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...