Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCouncil to save millions on stadium as state funding demand fails

Council to save millions on stadium as state funding demand fails

GEELONG’S council will save millions of dollars after staring down a State Government demand to fund its takeover of Simonds Stadium.
Council voted this week against paying a Government-appointed trust $1.5 million a year to manage and maintain the stadium.
The Government rejected a similar decision last week when council refused to fund the trust or to provide $6 million for the stadium’s stage four redevelopment before the end of 2017/2018.
The Government and the Cats warned the delayed payment could prevent work starting on the $89 million project.
But council accompanied this week’s trust-funding rejection with a compromise to instead pay the $6 million when stage four was complete, breaking the standoff.
Mayor Darryn Lyons said council developed the new arrangement “in partnership” with the Cats and the Government.
Council would fund its $6 million contribution with savings from relinquishing operations of the stadium to the trust, he said.
“Those savings will equate to an average of $1.5 million over each and every coming year.
“The City’s contribution to this development will ensure that our community can benefit from the development for years to come.”
The Cats welcomed the deal but the Government has yet to formally announce its acceptance. A council source expected the Government give its blessing soon.
“This is a significant and positive decision by the council that will bring a significant economic and social benefit to the region,“ said Cats chief Brian Cook.
“The councillors have shown great leadership in working to ensure that this redevelopment can go ahead without delay. It’s an exciting day for the club and for the city.“
The project also has $75 million from the Government and $4 million each from the Cats and the AFL.
Stage four will increase the stadium’s capacity to 36,000 patrons and redevelop various internal facilities.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...