Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyNo cash for convention centre

No cash for convention centre

Political and civic figures have attacked the Andrews Government’s failure to provide funding for a Geelong convention centre.
Opposition MPs and former premier Jeff Kennett slammed the lack of commitment to the city’s top priority project.
State-appointed council administrator Kathy Alexander and G21 chief Elaine Carbines also weighed in, respectively labelling the funding failure a setback and a “major disappointment”.
Any funding commitment will now wait until at least 2018, election year in Victoria.
Last year Premier Daniel Andrews said the “time for talk” was over.
“We’re getting the crucially needed planning and business case done so we can consider it ahead of the next budget,” Mr Andrews said.
But after this week’s draft budget failed to include funding, Regional Development Minister Jaala Pulford said the government still had to “get the project right”.
The budget snub was widely condemned.
“Earlier this year, the Andrew Government said the centre would be considered for funding. Clearly, it was not considered important enough,” Upper House MP Simon Ramsay told parliament.
“This convention centre is not a political toy. It is a desperately needed facility that is required right now.
“Geelong is leaking opportunities to other towns and cities, and that represents lost jobs and growth.”
Mr Kennett lambasted the funding flop on Twitter.
“No funding in Vic Budget for Geelong Contention Centre. The one proposal that had universal support for economic activity and jobs,” Mr Kennett posted.
Dr Alexander, the chair of Geelong’s council administrators, expressed disappointment.
“Strong communities deal with setbacks. I’m sure Geelong will do just that,” she told the Indy.
Ms Carbines, who leads the region’s councils alliance body, was disappointed “particularly given our long-established need, (the centre’s) forecast economic impact and the assurances (that) have been coming from government.
“We need it to happen, and I’m confident it will, but the business case is long overdue and way past the deadline the government set itself.”
Geelong has been pushing for a convention centre since the 1950s.
The current bid dates back a decade but last year the Indy revealed confusion among local stakeholders on who should lead the proposal.
The lack of leadership emerged after the Indy revealed the government had failed to contact Deakin University about its waterfront car park, the preferred site for the convention centre.
A month later the government confirmed the car park as the proposed site, with the centre costed at $350 million.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Around the grounds

More News

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...

Stanthorpe Festival – crushing for 60 years

Queensland’s Granite Belt comes alive this month for the long-running Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival - a celebration of food, wine and community. The...

Storytelling under the stars

The region’s favourite annual celebration of Americana music returns this month with an all-female lineup. The fifth Americana on the Bellarine live music event will...

BCH farewells ‘integral member’

A much-loved local nurse is hanging up the scrubs after nearly 30 years of service to the Bellarine community. Bellarine Community Health (BCH) footcare nurse...

Gold for Jakara

Barwon Heads star Jakara Anthony has won gold in the newest Olympic event, Women’s Dual Moguls overnight. This adds to her moguls victory from Beijing...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong An afternoon of alpine music featuring "Alpen Musikanten". Sunday 22 February 12pm to 5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available...