Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyIndustry ‘mussels up’ with hatchery

Industry ‘mussels up’ with hatchery

Mussel man: Shane Wiffen with a haul of Portarlington mussels and Daniel Thomas in the background.Mussel man: Shane Wiffen with a haul of Portarlington mussels and Daniel Thomas in the background.

By Michelle Herbison
A STATE-OF-THE-ART shellfish hatchery at Queenscliff has sparked a Victorian mussel industry resurgence, according to State Government.
Agriculture and Food Security Minister Peter Walsh said the facility helped the state’s mussel production grow 68 per cent to 951 tonnes in 2010/2011 year.
Mr Walsh said a falling population of wild mussels was a “major obstacle” for the industry when the hatchery opened in 2008.
“An unreliable supply of wild juvenile mussels had been threatening the viability of the Victorian mussel sector until a joint effort by mussel growers and Fisheries Victoria saw the hatchery established at Queenscliff,” he said.
Mr Walsh expected the increase in production to improve further next year.
Victoria’s total aquaculture industry, including trout, oysters, scallops and ocean fish, increased production 27 per cent last year, he said.
Portarlington mussel farmer Lance Wiffen said his company had more than doubled production in the past few years.
“Four or five years ago we were unable to fill our farms up with mussels and supply the markets we’d been building for the previous 10 to 15 years.
“We just couldn’t collect enough of the wild spat. It was so poor for so long that many farmers left the industry.”
Mr Wiffen said the drought and climate change might have caused the dwindling supply of wild spat.
But the Queenscliff facility was probably as successful spawning mussel spat as any hatchery in the world, he said.
Mr Wiffen believed Victoria’s industry was now “fully sustainable”.
“We don’t have to worry about the ups and downs in climate. We can probably engineer around them.”
The Independent reported in February that farmers predicted Portarlington’s mussel industry could grow up to 700 per cent if State Government delivered plans for upgrading Portarlington’s harbour.
Ports Minister Denis Napthine has pledged to run a cost-benefit analysis on a first stage on the plans.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...