By Cherie Donnellan
FORD WILL stick with a parts supplier whose financial problems forced the car company to stop work for days, according to a spokesperson.
Sinead Phipps said Ford would continue ordering parts from CMI Industrial even though it was in receivership.
“It’s business as usual for both Ford and CMI,” Ms Phipps said after Ford’s Geelong staff returned to work on Wednesday.
“Our preference is to continue working with CMI, so we’ll wait to hear what the receivers say.”
CMI’s landlord locked the company’s workers out of their Melbourne factory last week over a rental dispute.
The dispute shut down Ford’s production plant as administrators attempted to save CMI from bankruptcy.
Ms Phipps said Ford cooperated with union representatives over staff arrangements during the shutdown.
“We brought forward some scheduled down days for this month so we could pay workers 50 per cent of their expected wage. They were then able to top that up with their annual leave entitlements.”
Geelong’s Ford senior shop steward, Brendan Sexton, was “happy to be back at work” but “worried” about more delays.
“It’s a shame that due to Ford outsourcing parts manufacturing we’re affected by their stuff up.”
Mr Sexton said the shutdown had raised concerns among some younger Ford workers about meeting financial obligations.
“I know it’s a financial struggle for some of the younger guys to keep up with their mortgage and bills when this happens. If people were out of leave entitlements, they were losing money really.”
Mr Sexton said he hoped Ford would put in place contingencies to “resolve” issues like CMI’s receivership earlier.
“It’s sad when big companies can’t work together to deal with these issues early enough.
“It’s just hard for people who are doing a good job for the company to lose out for so long.”
Ford’s Geelong production plant shut for three days.
Ford ‘sticks with the battler’
Digital Edition
Subscribe
Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription
Juggling act for GFNL fixtures
AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...









