Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCars plan ‘dumped’

Cars plan ‘dumped’

By John Van Klaveren
STATE Government has dumped plans to relocate Melbourne’s import-export car trade to Geelong, State Government has confirmed.
Ports Minister Dr Denis Napthine said a $2 million feasibility study found too many “impediments” for the move.
Concerns included limited suitable land and restricted access to a one-way shipping channel, he said.
The Independent reported in October extensive automotive industry opposition to the move.
Dr Napthine said the car trade would consolidate in a new location at Webb Dock.
Department of Transport “worked hard” to explore the potential of shifting the car trade to Geelong, he said.
But the report ruled that themove “would not be viable”.
“The automotive industry raised a number of serious concerns that would have adversely affected their operations. These concerns include the lack of suitable land at the Port of Geelong, which is required to conduct pre-delivery inspections on imported vehicles as well as to consolidate and prepare vehicles for export.
“Access to the shipping channel also proved to be an issue, with ships facing delays due to restrictions in windy conditions coupled with the fact the channel is one-way.”
Shadow ports minister Tim Pallas said the “sham of a process” had only disappointed Geelong.
“The Government has treated the people of Geelong with contempt in coming out with this in the dead of night just after the budget announcement.”
Nissan Australia spokesman Jeffrey Fisher said the decision confirmed car industry concerns.
“We always thought any move out of Webb Dock would add to our costs.This decision helps us plan and gives that part of our businesses some continuity.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...