Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBoundary no barrier: Developers ‘defy’ bid for western border

Boundary no barrier: Developers ‘defy’ bid for western border

By Cherie Donnellan
DEVELOPERS will press ahead with their plans for Spring Creek despite council seeking to formalise the land as outside Torquay’s urban boundary, their spokesman said.
Tony White said council’s decision to seek ministerial approval for Duffields Rd to be the western boundary would fail to deter the developers.
Council will send the proposal to Planning Minister Matthew Guy this month.
Council previously recommended Spring Creek as a key urban growth area under its controversial “2040” plan before tearing it up amid community uproar.
Mr White said the developers group, which calls itself 1Kwest, would continue “independent community consultations” to determine suitable development for the area.
“The way the State Government’s planning laws operate mean the strip along Duffields Rd will ultimately be developed,” he said.
“We as a community can choose development that di-verts resources from the rest of the community, which has happened previously in the area, or we can choose development which contributes positively to the area.”
Mr White said council had “not been entirely honest” with opponents of high-density development in Spring Creek.
“Those who opposed high-density growth, including the 1KWest landowners, spoke of crowded beaches and car parks but under the shire’s current plans all that high-density growth will still happen, just in a different part of Torquay.
“They’re just shifting the high-density growth so all the additional traffic will flow though old Torquay, Wombah Park and The Sands.”
Mr White said new estates in north Torquay were “poorly planned, high-density developments”.
“It’s time we started looking at planning for what the community needs rather than passing the buck from one area to another.”
Mr White said the “landowners” still wanted to build community facilities such as a school, a community centre or public pool.
“We’ll continue talking to the community about how we can provide the community facilities that earlier shire-approved developments in Torquay and Jan Juc have failed to provide.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...