Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAsbestos site fear

Asbestos site fear

By CHERIE DONNELLAN

THE disturbance of a Torquay asbestos dump over summer could threaten the health of nearby residents, a landowner fears.
Kim Hammond said she watched “uninformed locals” including children walking and playing on the dump site over Easter after “men in white suits” had spent months removing asbestos.
Site owner Ironbridge Property hired contractors who used excavators to remove the asbestos from 12 Sea Breeze Dve between December and February, she said.
Ms Hammond commissioned a Geelong West laboratory to test soil samples from the site, which identified the presence of dangerous brown asbestos
The substance could become airborne, threatening nearby residents, she said.
Ms Hammond was “very concerned” to discover the removal work was allowed without any legal requirement to notify residents.
She was worried windy weather over summer could have blown asbestos into her home, about 100 metres away on Alleyne Ave.
“There appears to be very little requirement for protection of residents during the removal process whereas workers have strict procedures, high levels of protection and ongoing medical testing.”
Ms Hammond said the contractors failed to apply water to prevent airborne fibres during the first stage of the removal.
But “water trucks started to appear occasionally” after she notified WorkSafe.
An Ironbridge spokesperson told Ms Hammond the works were “in accordance with Victorian Government regulations” and “supervised by engineers”.
Air-monitoring failed to detect fibres, the spokesperson said in an email.
Ms Hammond said she had requested permission to erect warning signs about remaining asbestos but the spokesperson asked her to “not interfere on our land”.
EPA spokeswoman Tanya O’Shea said the authority was “aware of the site” but Surf Coast Shire was responsible for responding to residents’ health concerns.
The shire’s health department had not returned the Independent’s call for comment before the paper went to press.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...