Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndySelwood right for round one

Selwood right for round one

JOEL SELWOOD is adamant he’ll be fit for round one, despite suffering a hamstring injury in Geelong’s NAB Challenge win over Melbourne in Alice Springs on Friday night, according to the Cats website.

The Cats’ skipper pulled up sore during the first quarter and was immediately subbed out.

After the match, the club described the problem as “hamstring awareness”.

Selwood had scans on Monday, which revealed only a minor strain in his right hamstring.

“It is very minor. (The scan) showed up very little, so you wouldn’t really even call it a grade one (tear), which is a great result.”

Selwood was able to do some running on Sunday night and completed another running session on Monday.

“I was up to about 70 or 80 per cent,” he said. “It actually feels really good.”

The hamstring issue is Selwood’s second injury in the space of two months.

In late January he had surgery after being unable to shake off pain in one of his feet.

“Especially at this time of the year, when you’re trying to get your body match-hardened, and you get niggles like that that put you back a step, to get ready again is the hardest thing,” he said.

But Selwood is adamant he’ll be fit to face Adelaide in the Cats’ season opener at Simonds Stadium on Thursday 20 March.

“I’ll play round one,” he said. “I’ve got to listen to my body right now and make sure that I am right.

“But I’ve got three weeks. I’m pretty confident I’ll be there.”

Geelong has suffered a rash of injuries during the pre-season so far, with Allen Christensen, Nathan Vardy, Steven Motlop and George Burbury among those already ruled out of the clash with the Crows.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...
More News

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...