Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy$2m in Hussen tax agent case

$2m in Hussen tax agent case

By PAUL MILLAR

A TAX agent who allegedly fleeced trusting clients is expected to face up to 1200 charges relating to the theft of almost $2 million.
Kaylene Maree Hussen was originally charged with nine offences connected to the fraudulent use of clients’ money, with police claiming she had a massive gambling problem.
Investigators have had to move out of the Geelong police station to the Waurn Ponds complex to collate a brief of evidence, which is likely to reach 9000 pages.
It was initially argued that up to $700,000 had been stolen from clients of the 55-year-old mother of four adult children.
Police will allege that the figure has now blown out to almost $2 million with around 200 victims, many of them elderly.
She has already been charged with obtaining property by deception, obtaining financial advantage by deception, theft and making use of false documents.
Earlier this year Detective Senior Constable Paul Mitchell told the Geelong Magistrates Court “that records obtained from Crown Casino showed that since 2002 Hussen and her husband had lost more than $1 million at the gambling centre.”
“In 2014, she spent 104 days at Crown Casino and was there for up to five hours at a time and she had accumulated three million points on her Crown card,” he said.
“She has admitted to us that she has an extreme gambling problem … it appeared to be of some relief that it’s finally over,” the detective added.
Evidence, he alleged, would show that money transferred from the accounts of her clients to her own trust account coincided with her visits to the casino, the court heard in January.
Ms Hussen is currently on bail, on condition that she not engage in taxation matters, not leave Victoria and that she abide at her son’s home in Torquay.
She is due to face the Geelong Magistrates Court on 16 October for a committal mention hearing.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...