Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyLyons shock: 'News Corp phone hacking targeted my calls'

Lyons shock: ‘News Corp phone hacking targeted my calls’

By NOEL MURPHY

Geelong Mayor Darryn Lyons says he is a victim of the United Kingdom’s phone hack scandal.
Cr Lyons told the Independent he was unable to talk because of police investigations and legal action in London but could confirm he was an alleged victim of News Corp hacking.
“I am a victim of multiple counts of phone hacking and I’m aware of investigations,” Cr Lyons told the Independent when asked about recent News of the World hacking trial findings.

“I’d love to comment but I’ve been advised by my lawyers, because of legal action, not to.”

Cr Lyons was one of the biggest players in British media for two decades when he headed the former Big Pictures celebrity photo agency.
He refused to be drawn on several of the Independent’s questions about the hacking scandal.
Asked whether phone hacking contributed to Big Pictures’ problems before he wound up the company, Cr Lyons replied: “No comment”.
Asked whether newspapers other than News of the World had allegedly hacked his phones, he replied: “No comment”.
Asked whether he would seek compensation for any phone hacking, he replied: “That’s in the hands of my lawyers.”
Police investigators from England’s Scotland Yard are set to interview News Corp boss Rupert Murdoch after the eight-month trial in the Old Bailey found former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, who was later a media adviser to British Prime Minister David Cameron, guilty of phone hacking. Colson’s predecessor, Rebekah Brooks, was acquitted of similar charges.
Mr Murdoch’s media holdings in Australia include the Geelong Advertiser and the Herald Sun, which published apologies to Cr Lyons early this year over inaccurate reports regarding his financial circumstances. Fairfax Media publications also apologised for similar reports.
The Independent understands that News Ltd and Fairfax also paid Cr Lyons six-figure sums of money as part of the settlement.
At the height of his paparazzi operations Cr Lyons was negotiating photo sales worth hundreds of thousands of dollars each with some of the world’s biggest mastheads.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...