Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyResidents set to lose mayor vote

Residents set to lose mayor vote

By Luke Voogt

The State Government is set to strip Geelong of its mayoral vote on the recommendation of a Citizens’ Jury.
Local Government Minister Natalie Hutchins indicated to the Indy that she intended to adopt the recommendation.
“We put a lot of time, effort and money in setting up this jury to make sure it would be as independent as it could be,” she said.
“Any MP to ignore a report like would do so at (their) own peril.
“It was quite clear the system that had been put in place was not working.”
The Government commissioned the newDemocracy Foundation to arrange the 100-member jury, which recommended scrapping the mayoral election in a close call.
The jury favoured returning to the previous system of councillors choosing the mayor.
Ms Hutchins said she would take the jury’s recommendation to cabinet for a decision early next year.
Scrapping the vote would require a parliamentary amendment to the City of Greater Act 1993.
An online Democracy in Geelong survey in conjunction with the jury found that 59 per cent of 956 respondents wanted to keep their mayoral vote.
“I wouldn’t say that a 900-plus survey is representative of the communities of Geelong,” Ms Hutchins said.
Last week she said the survey attracted a “huge number” of responses.
A number public of figures have slammed the jury process, including former mayor Darryn Lyons and shadow local government minister David Davis who last week described it as a farce.
“I think the opposition’s spokesperson for local government should have had the guts to turn up and meet some of the jurors,” Ms Hutchins said.
This week Mr Davis said the Andrews government had always planned to get rid of the mayoral vote.
“Labor has always hated the directly-elected mayor in Geelong,” he said.
Former Geelong Labor MP Peter Loney described the previous coalition government’s introduction of the directly-elected mayor in 2012 as “half-baked”.
He cited its lack of a provision to fill “an extraordinary vacancy” when stress forced the resignation of the first directly elected mayor Keith Fagg.
“It was a stuff up that cost this community dearly,” Mr Loney said.
Other prominent public figures, including former premier Jeff Kennett, suggested that Geelong should adopt aspects of the City of Melbourne’s model of mayor and deputy candidates running on a ticket.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Out and about

More News

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...