Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyEx-MP’s fears for council

Ex-MP’s fears for council

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

Geelong’s new council of administrators could leave ratepayers unrepresented and disenfranchised, one of the city’s former state Labor MPs has warned.
Peter Loney, Lara MP from 1992 to 2006, said he was concerned after writing to interim administrator Yehudi Blacher but receiving only a “pro forma-type” reply that failed to answer his questions.
The Andrews government installed administrators Kathy Alexander, Laurinda Gardner and Peter Dorling on 24 May after sacking Geelong’s council in April.
“We’re entitled to expect that there’ll still be a real and proper attempt to involve the community,” Mr Loney said.
“I’m alarmed that the three administrators will operate like a board of a company. Geelong is not a company, it’s government.
“You cannot simply say the community will be denied representation for 18 months. They have to come up with a way to involve the community.
“There needs to be a public diary of who they’re meeting with and for what purpose.”
Mr Loney said community organisations such as football clubs denied funding deserved to be heard.
“Will the administrators meet with the footy clubs that were denied funding and listen to what they have to say?
“These are three career bureaucrats and not one has a background of community representation and that’s not good enough.
“They have to be held to account as strongly as any elected council was.”
Mr Loney said a commission of inquiry report that led to the council’s sacking was “scathing on the culture of the bureaucracy”.
“If these people are going to sit back and just act on reports from the bureaucracy how are they going to address those issues raised in the report?
“Will Peter Dorling sever his ties with Geelong Performing Arts Centre, Avalon Airport and the Committee for Geelong, all potentially organisations he may have to vote on as a commissioner?
“We need to know how he’s going to manage his conflicts of interest because at the moment he’s heavily conflicted.”
Mr Loney said the inquiry report focused on a history of bullying and harassment in City Hall’s bureaucracy but he had heard that it was still ongoing.
“If nothing much has been done about that and it has continued since the council was dismissed that would be worrying,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...