Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeEntertainmentBack to Back on the road for 2021

Back to Back on the road for 2021

Street performance – but not as you know it – is set to hit Adelaide when Geelong’s Back to Back Theatre returns to touring in March 2021.

The company plans to showcase its play, small metal objects, at Adelaide Fringe Festival from March 2 to 8.

“The ensemble is excited to be working again,” Back to Back executive director Tim Stitz said.

“Premiering in 2005, small metal objects was last presented to Australian audiences over 10 years ago, and this 2021 Adelaide season sees it return to the city for the first time since 2006.

“We relish the opportunity to share the work with Australian audiences, old and new, once again.”

The play features Geelong actors and co-writers Simon Laherty and Sonia Teuben in star roles.

The show unfolds amid pedestrian traffic against the backdrop of a city.

On a raised seating bank with individual sets of headphones, the audience is wired into an intensely personal drama being played out somewhere in the crowd.

Gary and Steve are the kind of men who normally escape notice.

But here they play an inadvertent but pivotal role in the night of two ambitious executives they’ve arranged to meet for a transaction.

As the intimacy of their situation develops, small metal objects becomes a sly and luminous depiction of everyday issues most take for granted.

The play explores how respect is withheld from outsiders – the disabled or unemployed – who society sometimes deems unproductive.

“Here the company considers how a person’s worth in society is defined by their productivity,” Stitz said.

“It’s a theme very familiar to these performers and even timelier in 2021 than it was at its premiere in 2005.

“Set against the shifting backdrop of a city weighed down by economic uncertainty, the notion that humans are becoming a kind of coinage couldn’t be called into starker relief.”

The tour comes after COVID-19 halted Back to Back’s national tour of its award-winning play The Shadow Whose Prey the Hunter Becomes.

The company had previously toured the US with the show.

“We’re pretty thrilled to be a company that does a lot of touring, both nationally and internationally,” Stitz said.

“This is just the beginning of our plans for 2021 as we eagerly await the chance to connect with audiences in person once more.

“We look forward to sharing more announcements with you in the coming months.”

Details: backtobacktheatre.com/projects/small-metal-objects.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Out and about

More News

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...