Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFifteen arrested during theft operation

Fifteen arrested during theft operation

Fifteen people have been arrested during an ongoing police operation to address public order and anti-social behaviour in Geelong.

Uniformed and plain-clothed police conducted the operation at the central business district’s shopping centres and public transport hubs during the week starting November 4.

Police arrested and charged 14 people for alleged shop theft and one person for disorderly conduct and issued seven cautions during the operation.

A Newtown man, 39, and Belmont woman, 36, were among those arrested following a series of alleged thefts from stores in Geelong and Belmont.

Police allege the pair stole food and valuables, totalling close to $580, with both charged and bailed to appear at Geelong Magistrates Court on December 12.

The operation targeted people looking to steal from retail stores, following a 38 per cent increase in Geelong retail store thefts over the past year.

Geelong Acting Local Area Commander Inspector Nicholas Uebergang said shop theft was “far from a victimless crime”.

“We will keep running operations targeting shop thieves, working closely with local retailers and the community to prevent crime and keep Geelong safe,” he said

“This has serious impacts on local businesses and residents in our community. These actions come with serious consequences, and we will continue to target those responsible.”

Anyone with information about retail theft or anti-social behaviour is urged to contact police or Crime Stoppers at 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online at crimestoppersvic.com.au

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...