Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsStreet safe: local trader

Street safe: local trader

Little Malop Street hospitality operators are concerned at the narrative of violence and danger that has arisen after the fatal stabbing of a young Geelong man in the popular food and entertainment precinct last weekend.

The tragic death of Jayme Sykes in the early hours of Sunday, October 27 has caused an outpouring of grief from his family, friends and the broader Geelong community.

But owners of Little Malop Street businesses have also expressed their fears the public commentary around the precinct could further damage the already struggling hospitality industry.

Piano Bar co-owner and popular entertainer Andy Pobjoy said the devastation surrounding Mr Sykes’ death was palpable.

“His family are shattered, there’s still people visiting the temporary tribute that’s been set up in Little Malop Street; it’s really emotional,” he said.

But Mr Pobjoy said the way the area had been depicted in media reports following the stabbing was not representative of the “lived experience” of those who work at and patronise Little Malop Street venues and restaurants.

“We’ve had a fight in Piano Bar once, I think back in 2020; we don’t have violence,” he said.

“You can take your nanna out for dinner and then come to Piano Bar afterwards, that’s the vibe we’re all going for and that’s what we hope to be able to keep.

“There’s been so much time, energy and money put into trying to set aside this one little stretch of the Geelong CBD, to make it a really cool place to come to.

“99 per cent of the young kids who go out are having the time of their life. The younger audience isn’t drinking as much, when we have the netball trips or the footy trips in they are absolutely delightful.

“And now we’ve got this precious little area where all the shops are full, there is world-class dining and great entertainment options, and it’s at risk because people like sledging the CBD of Geelong.”

Mr Pobjoy said talk suggesting the area was a dangerous party strip had the potential to deter patrons and hurt businesses.

“So many of us are on Struggle Street, our morale is very low at the moment” he said.

“We just hate to think people would avoid coming into town because they felt unsafe. We need more people to visit, not less.

“The police are a very visible presence on a Saturday, and they’re in constant communication with us. There’s no other part of Geelong that gets the amount of attention from the police that our precinct does to keep it safe.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...