Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFirefighter makes first blood donation

Firefighter makes first blood donation

Aireys Inlet firefighter Andrew Wilson is doing more than fighting fires to help the community by making his first-ever blood donation.

Mr Wilson took part in the 2023 Red Cross Lifeblood Emergency Services Blood Drive by donating his blood to the program that runs from June 1 to August 31.

He said the process was quicker than he thought it would be and that the donation was another way for him to help others.

“I was inspired by my wife, who is a regular blood donor,” Mr Wilson said.

“I’ve wanted to do it for a long time, so I thought it was time to step up and do it myself and take part in the drive.

“Aside from the interview beforehand to determine your suitability, the actual blood draw took me less than 15 minutes.”

Mr Wilson said giving blood was like volunteering with the Country Fire Authority (CFA) as it allowed him to “give back” and “help people”.

“It’s easy, just do it… plus, you get all the treats at the end,” he said.

“It’s an extension of what we do at CFA. While it might not be in our direct community, it’s still helping others.

“It’s pretty neat, you get a text message a few days after your donation, and it tells you where your blood has gone, and mine was sent to the Mornington Peninsula.

“You get a milkshake at the end, which is something to look forward to, but it’s super easy and probably sounds a lot scarier than it actually is, so pull together and join in the cause.”

More information on the Red Cross Emergency Services Blood Drive and how to donate blood is available at www.lifeblood.com.au.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...