Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsResounding no for The Parade development

Resounding no for The Parade development

Greater Geelong Council made its views clear on the proposed development at 57-59 The Parade, Ocean Grove, with councillors unanimously rejecting the developers’ application for a planning permit at last Thursday’s planning meeting.

The contentious development, a three-storey, 16 unit complex that was repeatedly described at the meeting by councillors, city officers and objectors alike as “monolithic”, was refused a planning permit on several grounds.

Those grounds included failing to adhere to reasonable sharing of views, standards of neighbourhood character, the side and rear setbacks from boundaries and the density, mass and scale of the development.

The application will now be heard by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) in late April.

Cr Ron Nelson, who moved the motion to recommend the refusal, said while the proposal met most of the requirements of the City’s policies, it was inappropriate for the location.

“(The proposed development) meets our policy regulations, however I don’t believe it’s within neighbourhood character,” Cr Nelson said.

“170 objections tells me that the community doesn’t want it. The amount of people who are here tonight, it’s obvious you all love where you live.

“There are inappropriate developments popping up everywhere because they meet the guidelines, so I think we as a group probably need to change that.”

Objector Vicki Nolan, who argued her views from her property to the rear of 57-59 The Parade would be unreasonably obstructed by the development, said allowing the development would have set a dangerous precedent for Ocean Grove.

“(This decision is) important for Ocean Grove so that other developers don’t think it’s a free-for-all,” Ms Nolan said.

“We were all concerned that it would set a precedent. If they allow this over two blocks, then some other developer buys three or four blocks in another quiet side street.

“We’re not against development. We’ve done a development ourselves, two on a block. Just tone it down a bit.”

Beau O’Brien, director for UXD Group which represents the consortium of developers, said Council’s decision was “expected”.

“I think we knew, not only prior to that meeting, but when we had the volume of objections back in mid-last year,” he said.

“It was probably expected that Councillors were going to side with the community, not the planning scheme.”

Mr O’Brien said the developers were confident VCAT would approve the development, as three of the five grounds of refusal presented by City officers were based on “subjective” standards and the City’s own urban design department had ticked off on the details of the proposal.

“When you go to their delegate’s report, they actually say we comply,” he said.

“So we’re confident because of that, and because we had five expert urban designers who are all willing to support it at VCAT.

“We don’t think there’s a basis not to support this on the planning scheme.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...