Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsNo go for pokies

No go for pokies

The Victorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission has knocked back a South Geelong venue’s application to install 10 more pokie machines.

ADP Group, which owns and operates the Valley Inn Hotel, applied to the commission in December last year to amend its gaming license to increase the number of electronic gaming machines from 29 to 39.

The application was met with opposition from the City of Greater Geelong, which committed up to $30,000 to fight the application on community health and wellbeing grounds.

Commissioners Fran Thorn and Danielle Huntersmith heard the two-day hearing on March 16 and 17, before refusing the application last week.

The commissioners said while they believed “there is likely to be a slightly positive economic impact if the application is granted” and a “neutral social impact”, they were concerned by the applicant’s previous non-compliance with permit conditions surrounding community contributions.

“The commission considers that this is one of those relatively rare or exceptional cases where the ultimate discretion militates against an approval despite the ‘no net detriment’ test having been satisfied,” the commissioners said in their decision.

The city welcomed the decision.

“The decision recognises that an increase in the number of gaming machines provides an increased risk of problem gambling, which leads to other costs such as family breakdowns, mental health problems and financial stress,” community life director Robyn Stevens said.

The latest data from the commission showed that $72.6 million had been lost on gaming machines in Greater Geelong so far in 2021-22.

There are 1349 electronic gaming machines across 26 venues in the City of Greater Geelong, including one venue in Queenscliff.

The commission found there were already 271 electronic gaming machines located between 2.5km and 5km from the Valley Inn.

The city’s social and economic impact assessment of the proposal, which was provided to the commission, considered factors such population demographics, disadvantage and unemployment rates, housing stress, labour force participation, education and age ranges.

It also included a summary of community engagement completed in February, which found 86 per cent of the 260 respondents did not support the application.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...