Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsClean up 90 per cent complete

Clean up 90 per cent complete

Almost 90 per cent of waste left at an illegal dumpsite in Lara has now been removed.

The Broderick Road site’s operator C&D Recycling had let waste stockpiles reach unsafe levels before going into liquidation in 2019, forcing the EPA into clean up.

EPA Victoria Broderick Road clean-up project manager Michael Fitzgerald said the EPA had now removed more than 252,474 cubic metres of waste from the site.

He said that was around 88 per cent of the 286,200 cubic metres of waste left on site in 2019, with less than 33,749 cubic metres remaining.

Mr Fitzgerald said waste removal was on track to be complete in June this year at the current rate.

“Each week thousands of cubic metres of waste are removed from the Broderick Road site and transported to licensed landfills, reducing the hazard onsite and bringing us a step closer to finishing this significant project,” he said.

“The project team is conducting testing and surveying of the site to ensure that once the final stockpile is removed the site will no longer pose an unacceptable risk to human health or the environment.

“This testing will include ground penetrating radar scans to check below the surface of the former stockpiles.

“When waste removal is complete the site will also be assessed by an independent occupational hygienist.”

Mr Fitzgerald said the final cost of the clean-up would be determined once the project was complete.

He said EPA would continue to use its powers to work to recover the clean-up costs by pursuing the site’s former occupiers and any other relevant parties.

City of Greater Geelong councillor and Lara resident Kylie Grzybek said it was pleasing to see the clean up getting close to complete.

“The Lara community will welcome this news that the clean-up is now so close to being finished. It has been a long journey, but both the EPA and the City have done an excellent job working through a very complex operation while keeping the community’s safety front of mind,” she said.

“We now look forward with anticipation to seeing the final truckload of waste being removed from the site in the not-too-distant future.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...