Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews'Stay away' Melburnians

‘Stay away’ Melburnians

Geelong community leaders have urged Melburnians not to sneak down the highway to take advantage of eased restrictions beginning today in regional Victoria.

“Please do the right thing; observe the rules,” said Giulia Baggio, chief executive of municipal alliance G21.

“It’s a short period to stay close to home and help our regional communities remain COVID-free, so we can all get back to COVID-normal.”

Geelong mayor Stephanie Asher and Tourism Greater Geelong and The Bellarine executive director Brett Ince reiterated the call, as Melburnians face yet another seven days in lockdown.

“To our Melbourne friends; we look forward to welcoming you back to our special region,” Cr Asher said.

“But please help keep your community safe by staying at home and following the restrictions.”

Mr Ince said: “We look forward to welcoming Melburnian visitors when it’s safe to do so”.

The calls come after many Melburnians fled to holiday homes or drove down the highway without an approved reason during 2020 lockdowns to take advantage of more relaxed restrictions in regional Victoria.

Ms Baggio, Cr Asher and Mr Ince welcomed the easing of restrictions as “fantastic news” for local residents and businesses.

But they warned the initial seven-day lockdown and eased restrictions in regional Victoria would continue to impact the hospitality, retail, tourism, arts and events industries.

“Those industries will be the most impacted for weeks and even months to come,” Mr Ince said.

Geelong Chamber of Commerce chief executive Ben Flynn agreed, and questioned the initial seven-day lockdown.

“I think the Geelong business community felt the strong statewide lockdown was a disproportionate response, given there were no cases in [regional Victoria],” he said.

“While we support a health response, we want the data to drive that response.”

Mr Flynn welcomed a combined $459 million in state government grants for Victorian businesses impacted by the lockdown.

Federal government yesterday announced a temporary COVID disaster payment, but this is only available to Melburnians.

“We’d welcome any federal government support on top of the state government support already proposed,” Mr Flynn said.

“We encourage everyone to get out and support our local businesses – whether it’s going out for dinner or purchasing something online.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...