Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsVictoria’s snap lockdown eases

Victoria’s snap lockdown eases

Victoria’s snap lockdown is set to ease at midnight tonight, Premier Daniel Andrews has announced.

But Victorians will still face tougher restrictions compared to before the state’s snap five-day lockdown, Mr Andrews warned this morning.

Beginning tomorrow Victorians will only be able to have five visitors in their homes per day, compared to 15 before to the lockdown, and public gatherings will be limited to 20.

“For now, it’s important we reduce the risk in some of our most vulnerable settings,” Mr Andrews said.

“I know that’ll be hard. After the past 12 months, all any of us want to do is spend time with the people we love.

“But by sticking to the rules and being conscious of who we see and how often we see them, we’ll help keep our friends and families safe.”

Hospital and aged care home visits will be limited to one household per day, with some exceptions.

Masks will continue to be mandatory in public indoor spaces, as well as outdoors where social distancing is not possible.

But schools, restaurants, retail, community facilities, entertainment venues and other public places will reopen, with some additional limits on crowd sizes.

Public and private offices can return to 50 per cent capacity.

Mr Andrews also announced the abolishment of the four reasons to leave home and the five-kilometre travel restriction.

“I want to thank those Victorians who’ve made it possible – and I want to thank every Victorian for their patience,” he said.

“Because of you, we’ve been able to track, trace and corner this mutant and more infectious strain of the virus.”

Department of Health officials have conducted thousands of hours of interviews, identified and isolated 3400 close contacts and processed 212,000 tests since the lockdown began, according to government.

“For those Victorians who are part of our health response, it’s been bloody hard work,” Mr Andrews said.

The lockdown began in response to an outbreak stemming from the Holiday Inn Hotel at Tullamarine Airport, now at 17 cases.

Mr Andrews foreshadowed restrictions easing further next week depending on the COVID-19 situation.

He urged those with even the mildest symptoms to get tested. For more information phone the coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...