Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFesta parade cancelled

Festa parade cancelled

For the first time in 38 years organisers have cancelled Geelong’s Pako Festa street parade, which has previously drawn crowds of more than 100,000 people.

Multicultural organisation Diversitat last Friday announced the cancellation of the colourful parade to protect public health and safety amid COVID-19.

Instead this year’s Pako Festa will take place at 13 sites across Geelong featuring cuisine from 19 ethnic communities, event director Luisa La Fornara announced.

“Each site will showcase a particular community group and their signature dishes,” she said.

“Dine-in and takeaway food offerings and a program of entertainment will be available at each site.”

Numbers are limited for the February 27 event and all guests must pre-book, with bookings opening in early February at pakofesta.com.au.

Nightly projections at Geelong West Town Hall will also replace the iconic parade for two weeks beginning on February 27.

The projections feature local artist Matt Bonner transforming 30 community portraits by photographer Chrissie Francis.

Pako Festa will also showcase the work of local schools and professional and emerging artists in shop windows along Pakington Street in its Elements of Culture Arts Trail.

Diversitat acting chief executive officer Brian McMahon said the new format “struck the right balance” between the “favourite aspects” of Pako Festa and COVID-19 restrictions.

“The health and safety of Pako Festa event-goers is our highest priority,” he said.

“We think that the message of Pako Festa is more important now than ever before, which is why we were determined to build an event format that would work in the current environment.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...