Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBelchers back in owners’ hands

Belchers back in owners’ hands

Council has handed the former site of iconic 1920s building Belchers Corner back to its owners’ corporation following a $2.9 million demolition.

City Hall on Monday announced the demolition was complete and that it would pursue a total of $4.1 million in ratepayer costs from the owners’ corporation.

“While significant financial costs have been incurred as a result, the stabilisation and demolition works were vital for protecting community safety,” council’s planning director Gareth Smith said.

“We are now focusing on recouping costs through all appropriate legal avenues.”

Workers completed the demolition of the site in September before undertaking minor repairs to neighbouring buildings in the following weeks.

In mid-2018, following the discovery of concrete cancer, council evicted more than 20 businesses and stabilised the building.

Mr Smith said the city had prioritised community safety from the outset, installing structural supports and undertaking engineering inspections.

City Hall also engaged civil engineers to monitor the building and in December 2019 began the demolition.

The city spent about $1.2 million on stabilisation, reporting and monitoring of the building throughout 2018/2019, while the demolition throughout 2020 cost about $2.9 million.

City Hall plans to recover the expenses, due what it alleged was the owners’ corporation’s failure to comply with multiple building and emergency orders.

“Throughout 2019, we sought demolition plans from the owners’ corporation and its administrator, however these plans were not provided,” Mr Smith said.

Several setbacks delayed the demolition including the building structure being different from initial expectations and historical plans, according to City Hall.

The structural integrity of the Belchers Corner building was worse than expected and required additional safety and support measures to be installed, the city said.

COVID-19 restrictions and the discovery of asbestos requiring specialist removal further delayed the demolition.

Owners’ Corporation administrator Robert Evans said the organisation would closely review the costs incurred by council.

But Mr Evans said he was unable to comment further prior to a meeting of the site’s 27 lot owners tonight.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...